SPEAKING OF MONDAYS A SPECIAL MONDAY TO YOU, WHEREVER YOU MAY BE
“Pull up a chair.” Because this one’s got all the feels.
Again, one of my role models is calling it a career in less than a week, and said goodbye to his last houseguest yesterday. There is enough room in this blog to pass thanks into the baseball world, for a man who defined the art of play-by-play and making the viewer/listener feel important. I was thrilled when the Dodgers gave him the perfect home send-off, and choked up for his “Wind Beneath My Wings” swan song while holding my 22-month old son on my lap.
Perfect. Bless you, Vin.
“Now back to this one…”
- WEEKEND ONE: To say the Silvertips began the year at 2-0-0-0 at an impressive mark would be stating the fact pretty modestly. After all, they outshot Vancouver, 31-13 on Saturday, and 64-36 on for the entire weekend. The five goal detonation in the first 13 minutes set the mark for the most goals in one period since Sept. 2014. The Tips line of Millar – Fonteyne – Bajkov combined for 11 points. Bryce Kindopp and Brett Kemp earned their first WHL goals. It is just a total of one week out of a year featuring 72 games, but let’s just say “flying colors” were a part of the starting act.
- GOOSEBUMPS: “From Everett Washington … defenseman … Wyatte Wylie” … hearing Greg Piland belt the introduction through the public address speakers sent a shockwave of emotion through the crowd of XFINITY Arena, formally putting another brick in the structure of Everett, Washington as a hockey town. Wylie is the first born and trained player to be drafted by the Tips, and make his WHL debut. Pretty awesome moment, and pretty awesome to see the faithful send up their salute.
- THE WINDS OF CHANGE: A near point per game player from last season is now coming to the Silvertips in the Dominic Zwerger deal (for a third rounder). To start, Mario Mucka had a smile on his face and terrific attitude from day one while proceeding through training camp and the start of the season. He’ll be great in his next stop. Turning the corner, Zwerger is entering his overage season, so he and his 27 goals from last year fill the last overage hole with Graham Millar and Lucas Skrumeda as the 20’s, and the second and final import spot with Eetu Tuulola (not too shabby). Zwerger arrived in town late tonight, had a beaming smile on his face as he entered Silvertips headquarters, and will wear #96. He’s a native of Austria and speaks fluent english. Nearly on the date two years ago (and also a week into the season), the Tips acquired Nikita Scherbak from Saskatoon.
- HOCKEY SHOW: Mitch Love and Matt Fonteyne will stop by at Sporty’s, so why not stop by and say hello to a legendary assistant coach, and one of the top returning forwards? We’ll be giving away a Mitch Love bobblehead to those attending live, plus tacos are just $1 at Sporty’s. No one can say “no” to tacos. Send us your questions too via Facebook and Twitter (we’ll give away tickets there to one lucky commenter), and don’t be shy about anything.
- TIPS / NHL MATTERS: Eetu Tuulola slipped into Flames duds this evening at the Saddledome (Flames fell short, 2-1 to Edmonton / Tuulola had 3 shots) … Jujhar Khaira laid out 3 hits in the Rogers Place lid lifter … Carter Hart had a smashing debut in Philadelphia, splitting duty in a shutout rookie win over the Islanders.
- AND … SCENE: Lamoureux Real Estate (good friends of the Silvertips) released a commercial featuring Carter Hart on the sidewalk, the Bud Blaster, the Fanboni, pizza, Mitch Love on a lawn, and yours truly calling morning play-by-play in a bathrobe. You have permission to laugh (probably at me). (Watch it here)
Talk tomorrow at Sporty’s. “Good night, everybody.”
Award winning broadcaster Mike Benton will be entering his second season as radio play-by-play voice of the Everett Silvertips of the Western Hockey League. Tweet at him here.