Happy New Year to you, with the first home game of 2018 right around the corner and the Silvertips fresh off the bus from Victoria (5-0 loss). Portland drove over the pass after a 9-3 loss in Spokane. No advantage in the category of fatigue.
AUDIO STREAM: Radio (1380 AM) / Tips App, too
ON THE BROADCAST:
- Pregame: Jake Christiansen, Dennis Williams
- 1st Intermission: Alumnus Brian King
- 2nd Intermission: we answer your questions from the Tips App (go to “Tips Talk” and submit there!)
You’ll have games like a 5-0 variety when you play through the course of a 72-game season. The Tips’ goal is to put it behind them mentally and be prepared for a U.S. Division battle (1st vs 2nd, one point apart!) after a condensed day due to travel.
Here’s everything you need to know:
TOP 5 TIPS TIDBITS
- TORRID TIPS: The Tips are 19-6-0-1 in the last 26 games and finished 10-2-0-0 in the month of December … they have won 13 of the last 15 games … seven different Silvertips registered game winning goals in December … Patrick Bajkov led the Silvertips with 18 points and six goals in 12 games during the month.
- HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF: 2001-born goaltender Dustin Wolf had seven wins in his first ten appearances … his first career shutout (31 saves) came on Dec. 16 vs. Prince George in a 4-0 win and he followed up with 24 saves on Dec. 27 (11-0 over VAN) in his 2nd career shutout … he was named CHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending Oct. 30 … he was 5-2-0-0 with a 2.01 GAA, two shutouts, and .933 save pct. in December.
- SUTTER TOUGH: Riley Sutter had his first career hat trick and tied a Tips record for goals in a game (4) on Dec. 27 at Vancouver … he has 11 points in his last 5 games.
- SPECIAL DELIVERIES: For the Silvertips special teams, the penalty kill is 1st in the WHL (86.3) … the Tips power play went 2-of-5 on Dec. 31 vs. Kamloops … Riley Sutter, Connor Dewar and Matt Fonteyne each lead the Silvertips with seven power play goals.
- DIVISION TOUGH: The Silvertips have won seven of the last eight meetings against opponents from the U.S. Division … the Tips record against the division rivals is 10-7-1-0 … they last faced Portland in a division matchup on Dec. 17, in an 8-3 victory.
“HEY! WHERE’S CARTER HART?”: Well, we’re glad you asked … he only set the hockey world on fire last night and brings a gold medal home to Everett soon … he seized the gold medal with Hockey Canada in his second straight appearance at the IIHF World Junior Championship tournament in Buffalo, N.Y. … Canada faced the United States on Dec. 29 at NewEra Field in Buffalo for the outdoor game of the event and Hart was named Player of the Game with 32 saves … his 35 saves led to Player of the Game honors in the gold medal victory last night against Sweden (3-1 victory) … his eight wins have tied Canada’s all-time record at the World Juniors with Jimmy Waite and Stephane Fiset … Hart went 5-0-0-1 in the tournament with a 1.64 goals-against-average and .935 save percentage.
See you on the radio!