You just can’t take night off in the U.S. Division.
First place (Tips) to fifth place (Tri-City) is separated by nine points.
These games are meaningful, and then some.
Tonight will be the 4th of 10 between the Tips and Thunderbirds, and many of us have already been exposed to the ridiculous levels of intensity involved in each game. There’s just a six point gap, so it’s not like there’s only pride realistically on the line.
Capacity at Angel of the Winds Arena in downtown Everett is nearly 8,200. Tonight’s crowd is likely to topple the 8,000 mark. When you consider the theatre this game delivers in this region, it’s a tremendous table setter for the NHL and it’s possible arrival in 2020.
AUDIO STREAM: Radio (1380 AM) / Tips App, too
ON THE BROADCAST: (pregame at 3:30pm)
- Pregame: Connor Dewar, Wyatte Wylie, Dennis Williams
- 1st Intermission: Matt Fonteyne
- 2nd Intermission: we answer your questions from the Tips App (go to “Tips Talk” and submit there!)
HEAD-TO-HEAD: Silvertips are (1-2-0-0)
|Oct. 22||SEA 4 – at EVT 3|
|Nov. 17||at EVT 3 – SEA 2|
|Nov. 18||at SEA 1 – EVT 0|
|Jan. 26||Seattle||7:35 pm PST|
|Jan. 27||at Seattle||7:05 pm PST|
|Feb. 16||at Seattle||7:35 pm PST|
|Feb. 17||Seattle||7:05 pm PST|
|Feb. 24||at Seattle||6:05 pm PST|
|Mar. 3||Seattle||7:05 pm PST|
|Mar. 10||at Seattle||7:05 pm PST|
LAST GAME (EVT 4 – SC 1 / 1-21-18): Riley Sutter had a goal and added an assist while Carter Hart turned in 23 saves as the Everett Silvertips led wire to wire in a 4-1 victory over the Swift Current Broncos before 4,089 fans in downtown Everett on Sunday. The Silvertips won their seventh game in a row, 13-2 in the last 15 homes games. They won their sixth in a row over Swift Current, 11-4 in the all-time series. Wyatte Wylie had two assists from the blueline.
TOP 5 TIPS TIDBITS
- TORRID TIPS: The Tips are 26-6-0-1 in the last 33 games and finished 10-2-0-0 in the month of December … they have won 20 of the last 23 games … Patrick Bajkov led the Silvertips with 18 points and six goals in 12 games during the month.
- GOALTENDING GOT HART: Tips goaltender Carter Hart, named Player of the Game in the championship victory over Sweden, is back with the Tips after capturing the gold medal with Canada at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championships in Buffalo … Hart went 5-0-0-1 in six games, totaling a 1.64 goals-against-average and .935 save percentage in the tourney … he leads the league in save percentage (.958), GAA (1.35), and leads the league in shutouts (6).
- HELPING HAND: Matt Fonteyne – named WHL Player of the Week on Monday – ttied a Tips record for assists in a game (5) on Jan. 15 in a 6-5 win vs. Tri-City … the last to post the mark was Peter Mueller, 11/25/06 vs. Tri-City … Fonteyne has 20 multi point games this season and 22 points in the last 8 games.
- NOT STANDING PAT: Patrick Bajkov, the leading Tips scorer, had a career high 5 points on Jan. 7 vs Victoria … his 70 points in 48 games rank eighth in league scoring … he is 3 points away from tying the Silvertips all-time points record, held by Zach Hamill.
- SPECIAL DELIVERIES: For the Silvertips special teams, the penalty kill is 1st in the WHL (85.6) … the Tips power play went 5-of-9 on Jan. 7 vs. Victoria, tying a franchise record for most power play goals in one game (5) … they are 13-of-34 in the last seven games … Matt Fonteyne leads the Silvertips with 13 power play goals (T-4, WHL).
ON THIS DATE
JANUARY 26, 2007: Zach Hamill and Dan Gendur set a new Silvertips record each, collecting 7 points apiece (3g-4a) along with hat tricks in a 9-0 victory over the Portland Winterhawks at the Coliseum … Gendur scored the game’s first two goals while Kyle Beach logged a five point game (1g-5a).
See you on the radio.