The Everett Silvertips get the Portland Winterhawks two more times this season and while it may seem like a matchup that has mild flavor of vitriol – there’s five points of separation between first and second – these division matchups matter with 21 games to go.
The Silvertips goal: provide more space. The Winterhawks goal: close the gap with one game in hand.
The Silvertips have won nine of 10, and picked up points in every game since Portland beat them in early January, 4-3 on a goal by Jake Gricius in the final minute of regulation. One more win for the Silvertips secures the advantage in the overall series this season: they’re 5-3-0-0.
Patrick Bajkov watch: one more goal or assist means the franchise points record. He’s tied with Zach Hamill at 262.
AUDIO STREAM: Radio (1380 AM) / Tips App, too
ON THE BROADCAST: (pregame at 6:30pm)
- Pregame: Matt Fonteyne, Dennis Williams
- 1st Intermission: Riley Sutter interview
- 2nd Intermission: we answer your questions from the Tips App (go to “Tips Talk” and submit there!)
TOP 5 TIPS TIDBITS
- TORRID TIPS: The Tips are 28-6-0-2 in the last 36 games and finished 10-2-0-0 in the month of December … they are 9-2-0-1 in January … they have won 22 of the last 26 games … Patrick Bajkov led the Silvertips with 18 points and six goals in 12 games during the month of December.
- GOALTENDING GOT HART: Tips goaltender Carter Hart, named Player of the Game in the championship victory over Sweden, is back with the Tips after capturing the gold medal with Canada at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championships in Buffalo … Hart went 5-0-0-1 in six games, totaling a 1.64 goals-against-average and .935 save percentage in the tourney … he leads the league in save percentage (.953), GAA (1.51), and leads the league in shutouts (6).
- HELPING HAND: Matt Fonteyne – named WHL Player of the Week last Monday – tied a Tips record for assists in a game (5) on Jan. 15 in a 6-5 win vs. Tri-City … the last to post the mark was Peter Mueller, 11/25/06 vs. Tri-City … Fonteyne has 21 multi point games this season and 25 points in the last 11 games.
- NOT STANDING PAT: Patrick Bajkov, the leading Tips scorer, had a career high 5 points on Jan. 7 vs Victoria … his 74 points in 51 games are tied for seventh in league scoring … he needs a goal or assist to set the new Silvertips points record.
- SPECIAL DELIVERIES: For the Silvertips special teams, the penalty kill is 1st in the WHL (84.1) … the Tips power play went 5-of-9 on Jan. 7 vs. Victoria, tying a franchise record for most power play goals in one game (5) … they are 15-of-44 in the last nine games … Matt Fonteyne leads the Silvertips with 14 power play goals (4th, WHL).
DID YOU KNOW?
Since joining the Silvertips in a trade with the Kamloops Blazers, forward Garrett Pilon has 13 points in nine games as a Silvertip.
ANOTHER MILESTONE ALERT
- Carter Hart is 1 shutout away from tying the WHL all-time record (26: Tyson Sexsmith)
See you on the radio.