Tonight is the fourth meeting of six total between the Tips and Giants, and it’s a game that bears significance between the teams for the first time in awhile.
The Tips continue to hold onto first in the Conference and Division, while the Giants stand 6 points back still in contention for the B.C. Division. They haven’t made the playoffs since Don Hay was behind the bench in 2013-14. It’s likely they’re furiously approaching the end to their darkest days.
The Tips, while trying to shake off a 2-1 OT loss that stung from the fact they were 1:49 away from a shutout victory (read: Carter Hart has 25 of them, the WHL record is 26 held by Tyson Sexsmith), get the chance to put last night behind them quickly with the 2nd game in a “3-in-3.”
Since Nov. 11, they’ve only lost twice in a row on a pair of occasions, and are 27-7-1-1. They’re pretty good at this rebounding thing.
KEY MATCHUP: Tips power play (11th, trying to bounce back from 0-of-4 last night) against the Giants penalty kill (7th, WHL). The Tips are 5-of-16 in the season series against the Giants.
BAJKOV WATCH: He’s already got the points record, and needs just 1 goal to tie Tyler Maxwell for the Tips all-time goal scoring record (107).
KEVIN DAVIS WATCH: Tonight he’ll play in career game #331, surpassing Zack Dailey to move into 2nd on the Tips all-time list. Leader Shane Harper is just four games away.
AUDIO STREAM: Radio (1380 AM) / Tips App, too
ON THE BROADCAST: (pregame at 6:30pm)
- Pregame: Matt Fonteyne, Patrick Bajkov, Dennis Williams
- 1st Intermission: Jameson Murray (part 2 of our conversation)
- 2nd Intermission: we answer your questions from the Tips App (go to “Tips Talk” and submit there!)
TOP 5 TIPS TIDBITS
- TORRID TIPS: The Tips are 30-7-1-2 in the last 40 games and finished 9-3-0-1 in January… they have won 24 of the last 30 games … Matt Fonteyne led the Silvertips in January – and the entire league – with 25 points in 13 games and added 12 goals … they have 4 games of scoring 8 goals or more.
- NOT STANDING PAT: Patrick Bajkov, the leading Tips scorer, set the new Silvertips all-time scoring record with 264 points last Friday, when he surpassed Zach Hamill with a first period power play goal … has twice tied his career high of 5 points … he needs one goal to tie Tyler Maxwell for the Tips all-time goal record (107)
- GOALTENDING GOT HART: Tips goaltender Carter Hart, named Player of the Game in the championship victory over Sweden, is back with the Tips after capturing the gold medal with Canada at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championships in Buffalo … he was named to his 3rd straight WHL Goaltender of the Month selection last Thursday with a 6-1-0-1 record, 1.97 GAA and .934 save percentage in January.
- HELPING HAND: Matt Fonteyne – named WHL Player of the Week in January – added to his case with WHL Player of the Month honors for the month as well – tied a Tips record for assists in a game (5) on Jan. 15 in a 6-5 win vs. Tri-City … the last to post the mark was Peter Mueller, 11/25/06 vs. Tri-City … Fonteyne has 21 multi point games this season and led the league with 25 points in 13 games for January.
- SPECIAL DELIVERIES: For the Silvertips special teams, the penalty kill is 1st in the WHL (84.5) … the Tips power play went 5-of-9 on Jan. 7 vs. Victoria, tying a franchise record for most power play goals in one game (5) … they are 20-of-63 in the last 13 games … Matt Fonteyne leads the Silvertips with 14 power play goals (T-5, WHL).
ON THIS DATE
EVT 4 – KEL 0 (2/10/10): Thomas Heemskerk earned a 36 save shutout while Byron Froese’s 22nd goal of the season to open the game stood as the winner, with the Tips blanking Kelowna, 4-0 in downtown Everett … Heemskerk earned first star honors and made 13 saves in the first period … Tyler Maxwell, Shane Harper, Froese, Chris Langkow, and Zack Dailey each had multi point games.
See you on the radio.
(Note, we’ll keep this part of the blog updated as time allows. Friday’s are tough, since we pump out a weekend preview video with all the info you need there.)