Updated developments: no Sean Richards as of now (still a TBD suspension for last Friday’s checking from behind major – we’re into the 4th day of “TBD”).
The Tips will see the Spokane Chiefs for the final time at Spokane Arena this season, the start of 7 of the final 12 games against opponents from the U.S. Division. The Tips have a 16-10-0-2 road record, so it suggests they’re comfortable in knowing how to handle the environment … that’ll come in handy, because five of the last 7 games against the U.S. Division will be on the road.
Playoff watch: the Tips are on the threshold, pardon the cliche. Kamloops does not play tonight, so the Tips need just one more point to lock up the “X” by their name in the standings for the 15th straight season – extending a current league record. They’d prefer a win, therefore multitasking by locking up a berth and knocking down the magic number for a division title and top seed in the Conference. They’re 5 up on Kelowna (1 game in hand) for the conference, and 7 up on Portland (2 games in hand) for the division.
MILESTONES: We’ll be ready to discuss them tonight. The next Patrick Bajkov goal sets him up as the Silvertips all-time leader. Kevin Davis will also play in the 336th game of his career tonight, passing Shane Harper to become the new Tips all-time leader. Carter Hart has 26 career bagels – tying Tyson Sexsmith for the league record. For the purposes of avoiding superstition with select members of audience, we’ll let you figure out the rest.
The Tips are 4-2-1-1 against Spokane this season.
AUDIO STREAM: Radio (1380 AM) / Tips App, too
ON THE BROADCAST: (pregame at 6:30pm)
- Pregame: Kevin Davis, Matt Fonteyne Dennis Williams
- 1st Intermission: A look back at Kevin Davis through the years
- 2nd Intermission: Tips Talk
TOP 5 TIPS TIDBITS
- TORRID TIPS: The Tips are 34-7-1-3 in the last 45 games and finished 9-3-0-1 in January… they have won 28 of the last 35 games … Matt Fonteyne led the Silvertips in January – and the entire league – with 25 points in 13 games and added 12 goals … they have 4 games of scoring 8 goals or more.
- NOT STANDING PAT: Patrick Bajkov, the leading Tips scorer, set the new Silvertips all-time scoring record with 264 points on Feb. 2, when he surpassed Zach Hamill with a first period power play goal … has twice tied his career high of 5 points … he needs one goal to surpass Tyler Maxwell for the Tips all-time goal record (108).
- IRON MAN: Kevin Davis is scheduled to play in the 336th game of his WHL career tonight, surpassing Shane Harper for the Silvertips all-time record … Davis has 55 points in 59 games, ending Sunday (T-8, WHL d-men).
- AGAINST THE U.S. DIVISION: The Tips are 20-8-1-2 against their opponents from the U.S. Division … seven of their final 12 games are against opponents from the U.S. Division (two at home, five on the road).
- SPECIAL DELIVERIES: For the Silvertips special teams, the penalty kill is 1st in the WHL (83.7) … the Tips power play went 5-of-9 on Jan. 7 vs. Victoria, tying a franchise record for most power play goals in one game (5) … they went 3-of-7 on Sunday vs. Kamloops … Matt Fonteyne leads the Silvertips with 14 power play goals.
See you on the radio.