Day 2 of Everett Silvertips training camp is no different: the first day of “school” is out of the way, the pleasantries are in the past, and everyone is down to business from the first drop of the puck not to far away from dawn.
By dusk, everyone has a better indication of who’s made their big push for a roster spot, and what teams we’ll see in a competitive environment.
Two games have turned into four, and we’re set for a Volunteer Cup showdown (given to the scrimmage champion) and Rookie Game at 4:45.
Here are five things from the day:
- IMPORTED, GOOD (TO GO): Peter Melcher suited up for the first day of training camp on Friday, amazingly after getting off the plane on Thursday following 48 hours of straight travel from Europe. He is amazingly fluent in English too, previously taking a course last season. He’s now trilingual, and fluent in Czech, English, and Russian.
- THE OTHER ONE?: That would be Martin Fasko-Rudas, you all know about him, and he’ll get into downtown Everett on Saturday.
- BRYCE YOURSELVES: Bryce Kindopp had a hat trick in one scrimmage game on Friday, and by the time I was able to get along the glass for a taste of Team Red’s scrimmage in the morning, 10 seconds later he popped in a Connor Dewar centering pass from the mid slot.
- WALKER WEIGHS IN, WEIGHS DOWN: Kyle Walker is one of many Tips who committed to a rigid workout program in the offseason, and the result is a more lean and trim defenseman who dropped 15 pounds since clean-out day, a little over three months ago. Walker attributed the achievement to a restrictive diet, limiting the amount of grain carbohydrates (read: bread, spaghetti, other traditional pasta) for his daily intake and loading up on proteins, vegetables, and fruit.
- THE CAPTAIN WEIGHS IN: Connor Dewar (with another year to go after a 38-goal campaign and NHL Draft selection in Minnesota) sat down after day two.
See you in the seats for day 3. Rookie Game at 4:45pm.